Jim Misiura’s Giant Black Hemingway’s Stonefly Nymph
Watch this video to see Jim Misiura tying his special Giant Black Stonefly Nymph using Hemingway’s fly tying materials.Thank you Jim for sharing this great video with us.
To tie Jim Misiura’s Giant Black Hemingway’s Stonefly Nymph, you need the following:
- Hook: 6xl Nymph #10
- Thread: Black
- Thorax: Black Ostrich Herl
- Legs: Black Hemingway’s Soft Rubber Legs – Large
- Tail: Black Goose Biot
- Rib: Copper Wire
- Abdomen / Wingcase: Dark Hemingway’s Stonefly Wing Buds and Back – Large
- Underbody: Black Dubbing
- Weight: 0.20 Lead Wire
- Start adding weight with lead wire.
- Put another layer of lead on front portion.
- Squeeze top section of lead with pliers to get wider body.
- Secure the lead with tread.
- For tail, tie in pair of goose biots approximately half the length of hook shank.
- Tie in fine copper wire for the ribbing.
- Tie in Hemingway’s Stonefly Back (white portion) on the top of the hook.
- For underbody take black dubbing and wrap the abdomen until the thorax.
- Fold over Hemingway’s Stonefly Back.
- Wind in copper wire.
- Tie in 2 more goose biots for antenna, approximately half the size of tail.
- Tie in Hemingway’s Wing Buds (white portion) on the top, between antennas.
- Tie in the legs on the top of the hook.
- For thorax tie in two Black Ostrich Herl and bring thread forward.
- Wind the Ostrich Herl tight right up to the nose and tie it off.
- Move the thread at the back of first set of legs.
- Fold over Hemingway’s Wing Buds and secure with thread.
- Whip finish it.
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments. Share photos of your Hemingway’s Stonefly Nymph or fish caught with this fly on our Facebook page.