Check out Jim Misiura’s next fly tying video tutorial – a Hemingway’s Caddis Special using Hemingway’s Realistic Caddis Wings. Thank you Jim for sharing this great video with us.
- Hook: Standard Dry #12 – #18, great choice would be Maruto d04 Hooks
- Thread: Hemingway’s 8/0 Thread in Black
- Body Hackle: Grizzly
- Body: Beaver Dubbing in Olive
- Antennae: Mallard Barred Feathers in Natural
- Wing: Hemingway’s Caddis Wings
- Hackle: CDC Feathers in Brown
- Put the base of thread down where it would hang at the barb of the hook.
- Tie in the Grizzly Hackle.
- Wrap the Olive Dubbing to the one eye length from the eye of the hook.
- Bring the hackle forward making nice and even spaces and tie it in.
- Trim the hackle from the top.
- Take about four barbells of Mallard Flank and tie them in at the front of the hook.
- Fold Hemingway’s Caddis Wings with dull side down and tie them in.
- Take the Brown Hackle and tie it in at the head and wrap it few times. Tie it off.
- Whip finish it and put the head cement.
Try tying this fly yourself! Give us your comments. Share photos of this pattern or fish caught on this fly on our Frosty Fly Facebook page.
2 thoughts on “Hemingway’s Caddis Special – Fly Tying with Jim Misiura”
Where’s the best place to purchase the Hemingay caddis wings?
thanks for your interest. If you live in Canada, you can look up a fly shop close to you here: Dealers Listing, or you can purchase it online at our webshop: Hemingway’s Realistic Wings. We ship to Canada, US & more than 60 additional destinations.