One more in a series of beginner fly tying videos by Jim Misiura, this one is for a dry pattern – Blue Quill. Super-easy to follow in Jim’s usual style, the resulting fly is great looking and will sure be a winner comes summer time.
- Hook: standard dry #12 – #18 (Maruto D31SSC)
- Thread: grey (Veevus 16/0 in Grey)
- Tail: Blue Dun hackle fibers (Coq de Leon Indio in Claro)
- Body: Blue Dun hackle stem (try Synthetic Tapered Peacock Quill in Blue)
- Wing: Blue Dun hackle tips (Mallard Barred Feathers in Natural)
- Hackle: Blue Dun (Hemingway’s CDC Feathers in Gray)
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments below. Share photos of your Blue Quill flies or fish caught with this pattern on our Facebook page.
Happy tying & tight lines!