Realistic Mayfly Dry II
- Newest addition to our fly collection – Vania’s Realistic Mayfly Dry II
- An amazingly authentic imitation of an adult mayfly!
- Has the looks of the real adult mayfly species:
- Large, transparent, membranous wings.
- Extended, curved and tapered body ending in a long tail.
- Three pairs of flexible, segmented legs.
- Exceptional details and coloring.
- Has the weight: the body has been made of foam-like, lightweight and sturdy material, that gives this pattern great floating capability.
- Designed and tied in Europe with first class materials to provide maximum action and many takes.
- Proven effectiveness, especially when fish is selective and finicky – this is definitely the fly to have in your flybox at all times.
- Comes in a wide range of mayfly species.
See Description tab below for more information on this fly and some fly fishing tips.
Realistic Mayfly Dry II
Realistic Mayfly Dry II is a new addition to our realistic flies collection. Coming from Vania Flies, designed and tied in Europe, this amazing fly pattern is an authentic imitation of an adult mayfly species. It has all the characteristics of a mayfly in this phase of their life cycle – large, transparent, membranous wings, the curved, extended body ending in a long tail, three pairs of flexible legs, the coloring and the details. The body has been made of foam-like, lightweight and sturdy material, that gives this pattern great floating capability. The details on the body are quite remarkable making this fly super-realistic looking. The fly is of the perfect weight, so when it hits water, it emulates the real insect. Carefully designed wings with exceptional details and flexible, segmented legs add to the realistic look of the fly and provide that imperative advantage when fishing this fly pattern. Proven as super-effective, especially when fish is selective and finicky – this is definitely the fly to have in your flybox at all times.
Realistic Mayfly Dry II has been created in mayfly species that are most significant for fly fishing:
- Brown Drake (Ephemera simulans)
- Ephemera Danica
- Gray Drake (Siphlonuridae family)
- Eastern Green Drake (Ephemera guttulata)
- Western Green Drake (Drunella doddsii)
- Hexagenia (Hexagenia limbata)
- Sulphur – Pale Evening Dun (Ephemerella dorothea dorothea)
- Hendrickson – Red Quill – female (Ephemerella subvaria)
- Blue Winged Olive – BWO (Baetidae family)
- Gray Fox (Stenonema fuscum)
- Light Cahill (Stenonema canadense)
- White Mayfly (Ephoron leukon)
- March Brown (Rhithrogena morrisoni)
Each variation has been carefully designed to follow the particular species’ size, shape, proportions and coloring.
Fishing Mayfly Dun Patterns
Majority of mayfly species molt in the spring and early summer, while others do it at different times of the year. You could have sporadic hatches of certain species even in the late fall and early spring. These sporadic times could be even more interesting and productive for trout (and for a fisherman). During early spring and the fall, mayflies hatch in the warm hours of the day – usually midday. In the summertime, this event moves more towards the morning and late afternoon or early evenings. Usually, the warmer the weather, the shorter the hatch is – an hour or two. With cooler weather this can last a couple of hours. As mayfly duns float on the surface like little sailboats, this behavior dictates the method of presentation of the fly that is imitating it. When presenting a dun imitation to the trout, it has to be drag-free and from upstream, not giving a fish much opportunity to see the line or leader. This can be done by cross current reach cast. This way your fly will drift towards the trout before the line and the leader arrive.
To learn more about mayfly life cycle and fly fishing techniques for different mayfly stages go here.
|Dimensions||2.5 × 2.5 × 2.5 cm|
Blue Winged Olive (BWO), Brown Drake (Ephemera Simulans), Eastern Green Drake, Ephemera Danica, Gray Drake, Gray Fox (Stenonema Fuscum), Hendrickson (Red Quill), Hexagenia, Light Cahill (Stenonema Canadense), March Brown, Sulphur (Pale Evening Dun), Western Green Drake, White Mayfly
You may also like…
Realistic Flies – MAYFLY Selection of 10 Flies – AssortedUS$27.54 Add to cart
Realistic Flies – HOPPER Selection of 10 Flies – AssortedUS$27.54 Add to cart
Realistic Flies – MAYFLY NYMPH Selection of 10 Flies – AssortedUS$27.54 Add to cart
Realistic Flies – STONEFLY NYMPH Selection of 10 Flies – AssortedUS$27.54 Add to cart