Purple Perdigon nymph is your perfect choice for late season fishing, especially for grayling. The orange butt on this pattern seems to be the winning detail. This pattern in small size, like #18 is extremely effective with French style of nymphing on classic tapered, but very long leader, a technique known as ‘peche a vue’.
Tied on top quality barbless Demmon hook with gold tungsten bead to provide extra weight. The barbless hook minimizes the damage caused to a fish. The tail is tied using Coq de Leon feathers, which gives this fly more realistic look.
Purple Perdigon nymph comes in three hook sizes #14, #16 and #18.
How to fish Purple Perdigon nymph
Czech Nymphing Style
- use a long and sensitive rod, size 2-4 wt, 10′ to 11′ long
- where the regulations allow, fish with two nymphs at the time on a thin leader (Czech type of leader)
- place the heavy nymph on top and smaller (lighter) on a dropper
- droppers should be maximum 10-15 cm (4”-6”) long and the distance between flies approximately 50 cm (20”)
French or Spanish Nymphing Styles
- use a sensitive rod, size 2-5 wt, 10′ to 11′ long
- fish with one small nymph
- the leader should be 3–4.5 meters long (10-15 feet)