Here is another of Jim Misiura’s easy-to-follow fly tying tutorials – this time a mayfly nymph with Hemingway’s Synthetic Peacock Quill. A great fly pattern, easy and fun to tie. Thanks, Jim for sharing.
- Hook: standard or dropped shank #12-18, a great choice are Hemingway’s HC114 Hooks
- Weight: .010 lead wire
- Thread: Hemingway’s 6/0 Thread in Gray Olive
- Tail: dark hackle, or try Coq de Leon Feathers
- Abdomen: Hemingway’s Synthetic Tapered Peacock Quill – in Olive
- Wingcase/Legs: pheasant tail
- Thorax: hare’s ear in dark color (try Hemingway’s Hare’s Plus Dubbing in Natural Dark)
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments below. Share photos of your Synthetic Quill Mayfly Nymph or fish caught with this fly on our Facebook page.