This time Jim brings us a great looking brightly colored mayfly nymph pattern – his Trout Hammer recipe. In Jim’s usual style it is easy to follow his tutorial. This little bright fly might be just what you need these days.
To tie Jim Misiura’s Trout Hammer, you need the following:
- Hook: 2xl nymph hooks, sizes #12 – #18, Jim used used Hemingway’s Nymph Fly Barbless Hooks HC114 in size #12
- Bead: 3mm Gold
- Thread: Black colored
- Tail: Dark Blue Dun Hackle
- Abdomen: Stripped Peacock Herl, we also recommend Hemingway’s Synthetic Tapered Peacock Quill in Natural
- Wingcase: Turkey Wing/Tail
- Legs: Dark Blue Dun Hackle
- Thorax: Salmon GSS (Gartside Secret Stuff), we can also recommend Hemingway’s Starlite Dubbing in Pink
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments below. Share photos of your Trout Hammer flies or fish caught with this pattern on our Facebook page.