Last week, on Wednesday, Feb 11, I was proud to be a special guest at a fly tying demo at the Pine Ridge Fly Fishing Club in Orono, Ontario. Chris Day, an award-winning master fly tyer with almost three decades of fly tying experience has demonstrated his extensive knowledge and skills tying some great flies.
Chris presented Hemingway’s materials, the realistic fly tying collection, and our great dubbing. These are his creations:
- Hook: Mustad 94840 or 94833 or similar dryfly hook 8-16, try Maruto d04 Hooks
- Thread: 6/0 Thread, colour to match dubbing
- Body: Hemingway’s Deer Hair Dubbing placed in dubbing loop. Colour to match natural.
- Wings: Hemingway’s Realistic Caddis Wings
- Hackle: Brown Cock
- Antennae: For antennae on hook sizes 10 and up – use Peccary (wild boar), and for hook sizes 12 and down – use moose body hair.
- Hook: Tiemco 200 R or similar, try Maruto c40HW Hooks
- Thread: 6/0 Thread, color to match dubbing
- Tail: Natural Turkey Biots or Goose Biots
- Dubbing: Heminway’s UV Hare Plus Dubbing, Black
- Rib: 6lb Maxima Chameleon
- Back: Hemingway’s Realistic Stonefly Nymph Wing Buds & Back – back parts
- Wing: Hemingway’s Realistic Stonefly Nymph Wing Buds & Back – wing parts
- Legs: Hemingway Stonefly Nymph Legs
- Antennae: Natural Turkey Biots or Goose Biots
- Hook: Mustad 3906B or similar 8-14, a great choice is Maruto i77LS Hooks
- Thread: 3/0 Thread, color to match dubbing
- Body: Hemingway’s Starlite, UV or Peacock Dubbing placed in wire dubbing loop. Effective colors: Black, Brown, Olive, Black or White
Great flies! Thanks, Chris for sharing your knowledge! We all learned a lot. This was a great evening. I had an opportunity to meet with club members and share some fly stories. Many thanks to Al, Club’s President, as well as Warwick and Derek for inviting me and giving me the opportunity to introduce Hemingway’s materials.
If you are in Ontario, in the area of Kawartha Lakes or Lake Ontario’s north shore, and not yet their member, make sure to check out Pine Ridge Fly Fishing Club here.