A great recipe for an Atlantic salmon fly coming from Jim Misiura – his Green Highlander Variation. Easy steps for an interesting fly design. Definitely something to try out. Thanks Jim for sharing with us.
To tie Jim Misiura’s Green Highlander Variation Salmon Fly, you need the following:
- Hook: salmon hooks sizes #1/0 to #8, Jim used Maruto m30 Salmon & Steelhead Wet Fly Hooks in size #6
- Thread: Black
- Tag: Oval Silver Tinsel / Yellow Floss
- Tail: Golden Pheasant Crest
- Butt: Black Ostrich Herl
- Rib: Oval Silver Tinsel
- Body: Rear 1/3 Yellow Floss Front 2/3 Green Seal Fur
- Green Hackle
- Underwing: Golden Pheasant Tippet
- Overwing: Mix Green and Orange Buck Tail
- Wing: Red Squirrel Tail
- Cheeks: Golden Pheasant Neck Feathers (Red)
- Hackle: Yellow
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments below. Share photos of your salmon flies or fish caught with this pattern on our Facebook page.