Jim Misiura brings us one more beginner fly tying video tutorial – this time for an Iron Blue Dun pattern. In Jim’s easy-to-follow style, steps are simple and the result is a great mayfly dun fly. Give it a try!
- Hook: standard dry #12 – #18 (Maruto D31SSC)
- Thread: grey (Veevus 16/0 in Grey)
- Tail: Blue Dun hackle fibers (Mallard Barred Feathers in Natural)
- Butt: dubbing in rusty red color (Hemingway’s Beaver Dubbing in Red Wine or Red Fox)
- Body: dubbing in Adams Grey (Hemingway’s Beaver Dubbing in Creamy Gray)
- Wing: Slate Grey Goose Quill (Mallard Barred Feathers in Natural)
- Hackle: Blue Dun (Hemingway’s CDC Feathers in Gray)
Try tying this great fly yourself! Give us your comments below. Share photos of your Iron Blue Dun flies or fish caught with this pattern on our Facebook page.
Happy tying & tight lines!